Happy Carnival season!
We have a tradition here in Scandinavia where we celebrate what we call Fastelavn. Better known as part of the carnival. Fastelavn is on the Sunday seven weeks before Easter Sunday.
Here’s the recipe for our annual carnival buns:
Serves: 10-12 buns
- 75 g butter
- 3 dl milk
- 50 g yeast
- 1/2 ts salt
- 1 dl sugar
- 1 stk egg
- 1 ts horn salt
- ca. 9 dl / 540 g flour
- Crumble the yeast into the dry and mix well together in a mixing bowl. Melt the butter in a saucepan, add milk and warm to lukewarm, about 37 ° C.
- Pour the liquid over the dry and run the dough (in a food processor) until it becomes syrupy and smooth. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and let the dough rise until it has doubled.
- Knead the dough well, divide it into 12 equal pieces and roll out fine buns. Put the buns onto a baking tray covered with baking paper or a kitchen towel. Add the plastic wrap and let the rolls rise for about 30 minutes.
- Brush them gently with beaten egg, and bake the buns at 210 ° C for about ten minutes.
- Server the freshly baked buns with whipped cream and sprinkle powdered sugar on top, and they’re good to go.
If you fancy cardamom buns you will find the recipe here.
x Live Henriette